Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Share 'N' Voice- http://duluthenergy.org/



Hello guys, 
Unless your homeless at this moment (which I know some students sometimes result to) we all have a a roof over our head and four walls that support it. With the privilege of having a house, many of us have furnaces to heat the home, faucets to bring us water, and building support to keep the heat/air conditioning in the house. THIS COMES AT A PRICE when not being efficient on how we use our resources. 



DEEP stands for Duluth Energy Efficiency Program. 
This is a program that analyzes one's living area, or other buildings in need and figures out how to be more efficient  so we don't have to pay sky rocketing water and heating bills. In my previous posts for Read 'N' Seed on the water crisis in America, it was mentioned that low power faucets could save tons of water! How many of us want to research what faucets to get, or how to see if my windows are leaking heat? I would if I had the time. That's where DEEP comes in! 

Deep will come to your home and check over everything and tell you how to change things that are costing you money and teach you how to be more environmentally friendly. This Deep website lays it all out. 

The thing I love the most about this program, is that it is available to people with all different income levels. You can also eligible for up to $2,500 in rebates. That means you can get money towards a new furnace, dishwasher, faucet etc. 


I'm volunteering for the American Lung Association, and Jill who is in charge of me introduced me to this. They had DEEP come to their house to do a house Audit. The program showed them ways to keep heat from escaping through their windows and ventilation, they learned what light bulbs to put in, and they got money for a new efficient furnace that will save them even more money in the future. Above all, it helps the environment, so this is a win win situation. 

Stay tuned for more Greenmachine

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon!

    I really like the idea of the DEEP program. I think more programs like this should be implemented considering the rising prices of resources. I think especially during the winter months when most people really utilize their heat resources like turning up their furnace and putting more gas in their vehicles to warm it up, more program should be readily available to comply with such demands. I think also it seems like its a pretty cool program because it helps educate people on techniques on ways to reserve energy that they can apply to help save money while using less resources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great program and one that would be really beneficial. It's great that its offered to people from all income levels, since that is huge when it comes to being environmentally friendly. I know that I have been under the impression before that in order to be "green", you need to spend money. In this case though, you can save money and help the environment. Like you said, it's a win win situation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very cool program to have in place. Just think of everyone were committed to being this environmentally friendly. I know almost everyone would want to take part in this if it could save them money. I would love to have them come out to my house and show me the different ways to reduce water, heat, and electricity use. I also, like how it is available to everyone with different incomes. In order to make a change, things like this need to be made available to everyone in order to make the biggest impact. Thank you for sharing this website and program with us!

    ReplyDelete