Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Share 'N' Voice: Hair products



Hello Ladies! It's obvious that all of us have hair and lots of it. The picture below looks like mine before I battle it with a curling iron.......Yes, I know it's scary; that's why I wear hats a lot : )






As I was washing my hair with my original shampoo, "Bed Head" down the drain, our class got me to thinking more about this product. How do the chemical in that shampoo affect my health, and how does it affect the water system that I'm dumping it into? 

My rating was a 7 from the eye opener website that we did in class. Octooxynol-40 is the chemical in this product that can cause the following
Endocrine disruption, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Multiple, additive exposure sources, Ecotoxicology, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs),






I've tried the brand "organix" shampoo from Target, and it just wasn't enough of a powerful weapon to taime the Shannon fro on top of my head, so I gave up on organic shampoo. (the organix products do have good scores on the eye opener website) 
I was roaming through the Whole-Foods Co-op and found this on sale!!!! I decided to give it a try. After reading the ingredients list, I figured that it had to be better than "Bed Head." By using this shampoo, my rating went from a 7 (Bed Head) to a 5

To my surprise, this product is amazing. It leaves my hair looking shinier and healthier than my original shampoo that was a concoction of toxins. I even got a lot of hair compliments on the day that I used this. 


Organic Shampoo and Conditioner seem to expensive for you? 
Not to worry! Here's a tip that I learned at the salon I worked at to conserve on Shampoo and Conditioner so you can spread the dollars you spend. 

1) Start out small: With Shampoo, you really only need enough for your roots, because that's where the oil builds up. The shampoo from your roots will wash the rest of your hair when it's running down your hair when you're rinsing. 

2) Conditioner, Start with the ends and work your way up.
Think of your fingers as combs with conditioner on them to get out the snarls. If your hair is snarly like mine, just do a small section at once. Once you get the end snarls out, work your way up to the scalp. 

I was amazed the first time I did this, because my during my whole life I've used a giant pile of conditioner and still felt like it's never been enough. Give it a shot! 





2 comments:

  1. This is so funny that you posted on this since just yesterday I was talking to my sister about trying to find a good organic shampoo to try! Like you, I have a ton of hair and sometimes it's a big pain. I would really like to try this shampoo since I need to buy some anyways and wanted to try some organic stuff. I think it's great that you're trying to be more organic with the products that you use...thanks for posting on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon

    It so amazing how this class has taught how to be eco friendly and in the process, I guess frugality at the same time. I remember at the beginning of this class, I posted something along the lines of "people tend to think expensive when it comes to purchasing organic products" but you can find some really good deals on organic products. I'm happy you found hair products that are less filled with toxins and provide the results you wanted!

    ReplyDelete