Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Environmental Working Group

Hey Gang!


This website was amazing and I'm definitely going to use it for many other products.
I'm a huge sunscreen fan. I don't know if the freckles and pale skin gave it away ha ha. In all seasons, I have to apply sunscreen numerous times, so I decided to put in my most favorite brand. My picture is linked to the part of the website.

My over all score was 7. For the positives, my spf protection was good and stability was excellent. Nothing was extremely health threatening about this product. The UVA and UVB balance and my health concern was moderate. I'm a little confused though because a score of 7 means high hazard. In the "other concerns" line it showed oxybenzone and vitamin A. What I questioned is why Vitamin A would be bad for you?

I'll come back to the Vitamin A part later, but for now I'm going to tackle oxybenzone. This chemical is one that is tied to reproductive issues, immunotoxicity, and allergies.  Blagh! I did some extra research and came to find that Vitamin A  in sunscreen is linked to skin tumors.

Now, that I learned what was negative about all of this, my mission was to find a plan of action to change. I found what the website recommended. My recommendation was a hat and clothing. Well I can try for this, but it's not that realistic for me all of the time. The top sunscreens are, Adorable Baby, Alba Bontanica, and All Terrain.

I'll have do some research on how much these cost, but they are probably cheaper than trying to deal with medical issues after they have been diagnosed. TTYL!

3 comments:

  1. Well, that's an eye opener, isn't it? We slather ourselves with sunscreen to ward of skin cancer and end up increasing our risk of skin tumors. Curious.

    Sunscreens can be so expensive, and while you make a good point that it is likely cheaper than dealing with sunburns and skin cancer, it is sometimes hard to afford the high cost products and have to be applying several times daily.

    Quite a pickle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this website will be a great resource in the future!

    Thanks for sharing the top sunscreens. As an outdoor lifeguard I turn to sunscreen daily during the summer. The last thing I want is to expose myself to dangerous chemicals daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its hard to believe that something we put on our skin to prevent getting cancer can cause us to get skin tumors. I will definitely have to look into getting one of those top sunscreens the next time I need to get some. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete